Tuesday, December 15, 2009

marshmallows

from 7:



marshmallows are very squishy their like cotton balls almost. they are delish. my brother (Jake). loves marshmallows so very much. and you can put them in hot choclate. I love the deyhidrated marshmallows and I like to eat some before they are even in the hot choclate yet! one time when I was sick I was so sick I went to my nina's and she poured the marshmallows in the hot choclate and I did'nt get to eat any! so here's what I had to do I had to do.I had to eat some choclate marshmallows!



from 37:



What's in a marshmallow, really? And why are they delicious alone, or in cocoa, or in Rice Krispies treats? Is there anything contained in a marshmallow besides sugar? Is it just sugar that's been heated to such a high temperature that it explodes into a tiny pouf? Maybe that's what's happened to me over the years...the high temperatures to which I have been exposed have caused me to explode into a pouf. Regardless of the contents, a marshmallow is a divine food. Just think of all the pistachio salads you would have missed out on in your lifetime weren't it for the creation of the marshmallow. My life would be poorer fo sho without those white little poufers. One of my first jobs was at one of those all you can eat salad and steak places, and, while my friends got the pie jobs waitressing, I was relegated to the bowels of the restaurant...the kitchen...where I think my title was Salad Broad, or something as equally as complimentary. While my supercute friends got to wear their high hair without any sort of cumbersome head attire, I had to wear a white golfer's cap, which, I kid you not, said, "Salad Bar" on it. That's me...."Salad Bar"...the ENTIRE thing! And mind you golfer's hats were by NO MEANS fashionable back when I was Salad Broad aka Salad Bar, which made it even MORE uncomfortable to look at. I'm 37, so back when I was doing this gig, the jaunty-golfer-hat-look had left the building some 10 years prior, not to reappear until Justin Timberlake brought them into fashion like 5 minutes ago. So, no big fashion points being earned for Salad Bar. Anyhow, I worked in the back with this German woman named Brunhilde. It sounds like I'm being stereotypical by saying I worked for a German woman named Brunhilde, but can you BE stereotypical when you're telling a true story? Anyhow, Brunhilde was her full name, she told me, but she had just "Hilde" on her nametag. She had her own golf cap of shame, and she spoke with those really gutteral sounds that kind of scared you, but made you want to hear her talk more, too. She and I got to know each other very well back in the armpit of that steakhouse, and one of the things I remember best about Hilde was how she taught me how to make a VAT of pistachio salad that would, suprisingly, only last a few hours on a Friday night on that salad bar. People would cram that stuff into their faces like it was money. Anyhow, to create that vat took an ENORMOUS amount of marshmallows, plenty of pistachio pudding, and pounds of pineapple. Mix it with some Cool Whip in a tub the size of a small child, and you got yourself some good EATS! I'm proud to say that Green Pistachio Pouf Salad is now in my recipe repertoire because of Brunhilde. But I had to give the golf hat back.

5 comments:

  1. One of the American sweets I miss is rice crispy treats.
    Even though we eat rice a lot, we don't have rice crispy treats here. Last year, I missed it so much, so I went to fancy imported-food shop to get rice crispy and marshmallows and made some. Marshmallows were so expensive...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, eyes-watering funny. Wow. Western Steer. Remember Rudy, the owner?! I can still totally picture him. I don't think I ever had the pistacio salad, but I did eat more than my fair share of #19, the "Steer" burger, at an employee discount, though, of course.

    You know we rocked the steakhouses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have but one comment. martha stewart? makes her own mallow. i hate her. and her mallow. but I heart fireside marshmallows and 7/37.

    ReplyDelete
  4. rie rice krispy treats are still around..........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rie: Look for Rice Krispies treats in a mailbox near you!

    Julie: Rudy. Holy cats, was that guy a weirdo?! Mmmm...Steer Burgerrr.

    Ikonnoklast: Only lazy people like Martha Stewart make their own mallow.

    ReplyDelete